Esplanade Association Individual Volunteer Program
About the Esplanade Association:
The Esplanade Association was founded in 2001 to revitalize and enhance the Charles River Esplanade, sustain its natural green space, and build community in the park by providing educational, cultural, and recreational programs for everyone. Working in collaboration with the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation, the Esplanade Association is dedicated to improving the experiences of the millions of visitors who enjoy Boston’s iconic riverside green space.
As the Esplanade Association continues to grow and foster park activation year-round, it has become necessary to find enthusiastic community members who care about the park and our organization to help us with park programs and projects.
Overview of Program:
The Esplanade Association is seeking civic-minded community members to join our Individual Volunteer Program. Whether we’re hosting educational, cultural, or recreational programs for the community or caring for 13 ornamental gardens and 1,700 trees, we need your support! Volunteers will assist with event setup and registration, specialized horticultural tasks, office mailings, and more, based on their interests and availability throughout the year. Small groups or families are welcome to participate together!
In all cases, volunteers will receive training and instructions from Esplanade Association staff about the specific work that they will be assisting with and their roles. We are especially looking for people who enjoy working with the community, have some experience working with events or horticulture, and are interested in protecting Boston’s natural greenspaces.
How the Program works:
- Early each month, our Programs & Sustainability Coordinator sends an email detailing key upcoming volunteer needs. These may include horticulture tasks, event support, office tasks, and more.
- If certain opportunities sound interesting to you, respond to our Programs & Sustainability Coordinator for more information
- Once a year you are invited to join us at a reception where we can thank you for your contributions
Expected Time Commitment:
Flexible. Specific commitments are generally 2-4 hours.
- If you are interested in the Individual Volunteer Program, please contact our Programs & Sustainability Coordinator, Christine Francois, with a brief description of why you want to become an Individual Volunteer.
- Once your application has been received, we will schedule a call to tell you more about the program and how you can become involved.
- About 15 minutes before your first volunteer commitment with the Esplanade Association, you will have a brief orientation to get to know Esplanade Association staff and learn more about our work.
Thank you for your interest in supporting the Esplanade!