Frequently Asked Questions for Day-of
How do volunteer days look different in 2020?
- All volunteers must sign an electronic volunteer participation release form in order to volunteer in the park. No on-site sign-up will be provided
- All volunteers must bring their own water/snacks to volunteer day. No drinks or snacks will be provided by EA.
- Masks/face coverings are required to be worn by all volunteers and all staff throughout entire volunteer event.
- Tools used for volunteer day cannot be shared.
- All volunteers and staff must maintain a 6-foot distance from others at all times.
What if it rains?
Volunteer events will be cancelled only in the event of inclement weather (i.e. thunderstorms and other dangerous conditions). In the event of a cancellation we will contact you as soon as possible but this may be as little as two hours notice due to unpredictable weather patterns. When you register we will ask you for a cell phone number that you can be reached at on the day of the volunteer event. We will contact you at this number in the event of a cancelation.
Do I need to bring food or water?
Volunteers are responsible for bringing their own water and snacks if they wish. Please bring plenty of water with you and consider using a reusable container.
What should I wear?
Volunteers should wear work clothes and close toed shoes (clothes and shoes that you don’t mind getting paint on or getting wet or dirty). Gloves will be provided for you but you may also want to bring your own hat, sunscreen, or raincoat depending on the weather.
Will tools and equipment be provided for me?
Yes. EA will supply you with all of the tools needed to make your volunteer day a success. These tools will be cleaned prior to your event and immediately following it.
Where will we meet on the day of?
You will be notified of your volunteer meeting location by email 1-2 weeks before the schedule date. All volunteers meet on the Esplanade at one of four volunteer meeting locations: Lee Pool, Hatch Shell, Dartmouth Street Comfort Station, and Exercise Course. Visit our Volunteer Directions page to find out more.
When will the volunteer project be determined?
You will be notified of your volunteer project by email 1-2 weeks before the schedule date. Volunteer projects take place throughout the Esplanade and vary by season, weather conditions and park needs. Maintenance projects could include raking, litter pick-up, bulb planting, and bench painting, among others.